[Dovecot] Curious Dovecot strangeness

S. A. Woltering Ashley.Woltering at ecmwf.int
Mon Sep 28 16:31:47 EEST 2009

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice and help thus far. Dovecot is, mostly, working
really well in our HP-UX IA64 11.23 ServiceGuard failover environment.

Recently however, the system has been experiencing heavy load, due to
other factors and we've been seeing imap processes dropping data. We had
assumed it was because the system was under *considerable* stress, but
now we have the load back under some semblance of control, these issues
are still happening. So, I'm beginning to wonder if there is some limit
we're hitting in the configuration, but for the life of me, I can't see
what it might be.

The problems we see are sporadic thunderbird error messages of the kind
"cannot save message to Sent folder" and for some users with large-ish
numbers of mail folders one or two of their folders are appearing empty.

The "dovecot -n" output follows:

#/opt/dovecot/sbin/dovecot -n
# 1.2.4: /opt/dovecot/etc/dovecot.conf
# OS: HP-UX B.11.23 ia64
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot
log_path: /var/adm/dovecot.log
info_log_path: /var/adm/dovecot.log
listen: *:143
ssl_listen: *:993
ssl_cert_file: /opt/dovecot/etc/ssl/IMAP.pem
ssl_key_file: /opt/dovecot/etc/ssl/IMAP.pem
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_process_size: 0
login_processes_count: 10
login_max_processes_count: 512
login_max_connections: 512
mail_max_userip_connections: 15
first_valid_uid: 100
mail_location: maildir:/mail%h/Maildir
mail_debug: yes
mmap_disable: yes
mail_process_size: 0
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: .
  prefix: INBOX.
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
auth default:
  verbose: yes
  debug: yes
  process_size: 0
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks,
SAW
- --
Steven-Ashley Woltering, MBCS, Systems Analyst,
ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, RG2 9AX, UK
Tel.: +44 1189 499473 (internal x2473)
Email: Steven.Woltering at ecmwf.int