[Dovecot] Proxying Performance vs imapproxy

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Mon Sep 28 17:55:36 EEST 2009

You didn't get much answer to this - I'm probably not the best person to
answer, but

> Are there any performance benefits to using a proxying server, or is it just
> for splitting mailstores?

I think this is the main reason for the proxying option.  It would
appear that others have measured the performance load of the proxy task
and found it near negligible?  Hence it seems possible to use a bunch of
backend servers and a few frontend servers to forward the user to the
correct backend server.  I believe each connection needs to be setup
each time though, so for sure some more advanced proxies with persistent
caching of connections may offer a performance improvement if your
servers are loaded due to the login part (but I guess measure this first
before assuming it's so?)

Some have even used the backend servers as the frontend proxy servers,
ie if you only have a small number of servers then make them all
frontend and backend servers, eg with three servers you have a 1 in 3
chance of getting straight onto the correct server, otherwise proxy over
to the correct server...

Good luck

Ed W