[Dovecot] Scalability plans: Abstract out filesystem and make it someone else's problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 28 19:58:30 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 09:00 -0700, paulmon wrote:
> My current thinking is a key/value store as you've proposed.  Something like
> Hadoop components or Project Voldamort.  Voldamort might be a better fit
> from what I've read.

My understanding of Hadoop is that it's more about distributed computing
instead of storage.

> My current thinking if having the local delivery break messages up into
> their component pieces, headers, from address, to address, spam scores, body
> etc into various key:value relationships.

I was planning on basically just storing key=username/message-guid,
value=message pairs instead of splitting it up. Or perhaps split header
and body, but I think piecing it smaller than those just makes the
performance worse. To get different headers quickly there would still be
dovecot.index.cache (which would be in a some quick in-memory storage
but also stored in the database).