[Dovecot] compressed IMAP traffic

Leonardo Rodrigues leolistas at solutti.com.br
Tue Sep 29 00:40:18 EEST 2009

Leonardo Rodrigues escreveu:

>    probably there's some build option on CentOS that is disabling
> compression. If 0.9.8b on Fedora8 built in October/2007 can do it, so
> 0.9.8e on CentOS 5.3 built on September/2009 should be able to do it
> too ....... oh boy, i really hate those weirds compilation options
> from Redhat  .... :\

    and most interesting .... seems the problem is probably with openssl
client or gnutls-cli on CentOS 5.3.

    From the same Fedora 8 box i done the previous tests, i pointed
gnutls-cli to my CentOS 5.3 box with dovecot 1.2.5 and the zlib logging
patch. And i have:

- Version: TLS 1.0
- Key Exchange: DHE RSA
- Cipher: AES 256 CBC
- MAC: SHA
- Compression: DEFLATE

    from maillog:

Sep 28 18:36:54 correio dovecot: imap-login: Login:
user=<mail at box.com.br>, method=PLAIN, rip=189.11.xx.xx,
lip=200.140.xx.xx, TLS, TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256
bits) zlib compression

    so, it seems server has the needed support for compression on TLS
connections. Despite of that, connections from Thunderbird 2.0 and
Windows Live Mail does not requests compression .....

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues

	gertrudes at solutti.com.br