[Dovecot] compressed IMAP traffic

Leonardo Rodrigues leolistas at solutti.com.br
Tue Sep 29 13:33:13 EEST 2009

    well ..... here for me, with 'openssl s_client', i cant even connect
when using -ssl2:

[root at correio ~]# openssl s_client -connect localhost:993 -ssl2
[ ... ]
27110:error:1406D0B8:SSL routines:GET_SERVER_HELLO:no cipher
list:s2_clnt.c:450:
[root at correio ~]#

    but that's probably because i have on dovecot.conf:

ssl_cipher_list = ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2

    with ssl3 and tls1 i can connect and see the zlib compression being
enabled.

SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : SSLv3
    Cipher    : DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
[ ..... ]
   Compression: 1 (zlib compression)

SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : TLSv1
    Cipher    : DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
[ ..... ]
   Compression: 1 (zlib compression)

    Thunderbird has the options to enable/disable each cipher of
ssl2/ssl3/tls1 as well as disable them completly too. Here in my
Thunderbird 2.0.0.23, SSLv2 is disabled, and this is certainly the
default configs, as i never tweaked this.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7937/thunderbirdssl2.jpg

    logging from dovecot shows clearly that i'm using TLSv1 to connect
...  it also shows that TLSv1 connections from thunderbird do not use
compression, and connections from gnutls-cli correctly enables that

thunderbird 2.0.0.23
Sep 29 07:12:02 correio dovecot: imap-login: Login:
user=<mail at box.com.br>, method=PLAIN, rip=189.114.xx.xx,
lip=200.140.xx.xx, TLS, TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)

gnutls-cli
Sep 28 18:36:54 correio dovecot: imap-login: Login:
user=<mail at box.com.br>, method=PLAIN, rip=189.11.xx.xx,
lip=200.140.xx.xx, TLS, TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256
bits) zlib compression

    wireshack confirms i'm using TLSv1 and also shows Thunderbird is
announcing no compression is supported.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9011/wiresharktlsv1.jpg

    so ..... despite the known fact that SSLv2 cant be used if
compression is wanted, using SSLv3 and TLSv1 apparently does not
automatically guarantees that .....

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues