[Dovecot] New install authentication probs (Solved)

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Apr 1 23:03:46 EEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 08:09:30PM +0100, a.smith at ukgrid.net wrote:
>  yes sounds likely, I am attempting to authenticate using the text:
> LOGIN username password

(with a tag in front of the command)

> With zero logged to the debug log... With courier IMAP this works by
> default, I guess by default it doesnt work with dovecot...

If you want it, set this in dovecot.conf:

disable_plaintext_auth = no

Basically dovecot is taking the secure approach by default. If the client is
connected without encryption, then they should not be sending a plaintext
password, as it's easily sniffed.  The above config removes this policy.

Or: try making an encrypted (imaps) connection, like this:

openssl s_client -connect 127.0.0.1:993

HTH,

Brian.