[Dovecot] Incoming mails + remote backup

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Mon Apr 5 14:43:37 EEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:48:55PM -0700, minim wrote:
> I have to take two copy of incoming mails on different servers(local &
> remote). I am using plain server without any panel on it and using sendmail,
> pop3 server Dovecot.
>
> Is there a way(any configurations) to take a remote backup for all incoming
> mails? except configuring forwarder to each mail ID !!!!

Oh yes, quite a few:

* Do it on delivery (by configuring your MTA to deliver to two places at
  once)

* Use a tool like imapsync to replicate the mailboxes using IMAP
  periodically

* Use filesystem-level replication (e.g. rsync/unison, ZFS mirroring)

* Use block-level replication (e.g. drbd, Netapp snap-mirror)

Which you use will depend partly on what the replica is being used for, e.g.
just for archive/audit; how quickly it has to be in sync; what happens when
the remote replica is unreachable; and whether you want to be able to
failover to the replica for 'live' use, and fail back again.

B.