[Dovecot] Timeout Value

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 7 05:36:51 EEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 12:13 +0800, JackyC at umac.mo wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I constantly encounter 'dovecot-auth', 'login-imap', 'login-pop3' and
> 'imap' processes consume 100% CPU.
> I run 'ps' and found those hanged up processes were running for a long
> time.
> I am wondering whether dovecot.conf has some configuration parameters that
> timeout those processes (or kill those after certain period of time).
> I am using dovecot 1.2.11 on RHEL 5.3.

There is no timeout value, because those processes just shouldn't be
eating 100% CPU. Strange that all of your processes are eating 100% CPU.
You do mean all dovecot processes eat 100% CPU, right? And it happens
immediately after they start up? I guess there's something really wrong
in your installation. A few things that might show something useful:

1) strace -tt -p <pid> output for a 10 lines or so.

2) dovecot --build-options output