[Dovecot] push mail support

Ibrahim Harrani ibrahim.harrani at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 12:23:58 EEST 2010

Hi Robert,

I am testing dovecot imap idle feature on Nokia N97 with profimail client
3.X
I configured profimail to use imap-idle
I enabled "use push email" option and set IDLE ping time 5 min
imap_idle_notify_interval=120
Here is the explanation of profimail parameters.

   - *Use Push email* - enable or disable Push email (IMAP IDLE) connection
   mode on this account.
   - *IDLE ping time* - tweak settings for keeping IMAP IDLE connection
   alive. By default you don't need to change this. You may set it lower if
   your mail server closes IDLE connection after shorter time.

Profimail works fine after configuring for a while. It receives mails from
imap successfuly but after 5-10 minutes later profimail gets "*failed to
connect(time out)*" error.
There are following entires in the /var/log/maillog

*dovecot: IMAP(user): Connection closed: Connection reset by peer bytes*

I could not find the root cause of the problem. I changed IDLE ping time
from 1 to 10 on the phone. Unfortunately the result is the same. It gets
timeout error after working short time.
Should I change imap_idle_notify_interval or any other parameter in server
side?

Thanks