[Dovecot] pigeonhole: naming and versioning

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Apr 11 00:39:42 EEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:09:27PM +0200, Stephan Bosch wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> >As a (downstream) packager I have some questions:
> >
> >a) pigeonhole is called a working title - will the final release
> >   be called something else like dovecot-sieve again?
>
> Well, I was a bit uncertain about the name. People who don't know
> what a pigeonhole is or what the verb means (especially the Dutch),
> sometimes have `interesting' associations with that name. I am quite
> confident though that this name is the definitive one. I'll adjust
> the website accordingly.

:)

> >b) The versioning seems to go from 0.1.15 to 0.1.13. From a packager's
> >   POV it would be better to allow a natural version upgrade
> >   path. Perhaps the version in hg is just not updated?
> >
> >The reason for these questions/clarifications are that Angel and I are
> >packaging dovecot 2.x betas and matching sieve plugins for allowing
> >more people to a broader testing before the projects go gold. We'd
> >like to have proper naming and versioning in place already for the
> >beta packages.
> >

> The Pigeonhole project is not released for v2.0 yet, so there is no
> version for v2.0. Current plans are to call name the packages
> dovecot-2.0-pigeonhole-0.2.0. However, this versioning scheme is not
> ideal, so ideas are welcome.

How about using a version scheme starting with "2.0"? If there is a
pigeonhole for each 2.0.x release, then

dovecot-2.0.x.tar.bz2
dovecot-pigeonhole-2.0.x.tar.bz2

could be the released pairs.