[Dovecot] Quota: Maildir and other files

Michael Kliewe mkliewe at gmx.de
Mon Apr 12 20:02:01 EEST 2010

Hi everybody,

I'm currently working on the quota limits in dovecot, and Maildir
quota is working fine, it reports the correct numbers.
But our users also have additional space where they can put files, and
I would like both to have the same quota of 2 GB. So mails + files
should not exceed 2 GB.
What is the best way to solve this?

I already tried the following:
- I put the files in /path/to/user/Maildir/Storage/ , where /path/to/
user/Maildir is the users mail directory. But obviously dovecot does
not see that files and gives the wrong numbers.
- I tried to use the fs quota backend ("Disk quota"), but I don't get
it running, I always get an empty result:

dovecot -n:
plugin:
   quota: maildir:User quota
   quota_rule: *:storage=2G
   quota_rule2: *:messages=50000
   quota_rule3: Trash:storage=10%%
   quota_rule4: Spam:storage=20%%
   quota2: fs:Disk quota
   quota2_rule: *:storage=2G
   quota2_rule2: *:messages=50000

TAG GETQUOTA "User quota"
* QUOTA "User quota" (STORAGE 473178 2048000 MESSAGE 20693 50000)
TAG OK Getquota completed.
TAG GETQUOTA "Disk quota"
* QUOTA "Disk quota" ()
TAG OK Getquota completed.

I don't know why fs is not working. /path/to/user/Maildir is a simple
local ext4 partition. In the future it will be a nfs share.

Can you point me to a solution, so the user has a limit for both,
mails and additional files? Where is the best way to place the
additional files?

Michael