[Dovecot] version 1.2.11 creating symlink loop for config file

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 14 20:33:59 EEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 13:25 -0400, Adrian Pepper wrote:

> services110.cs# servers/dovecot -n
> # 1.2.11: /software/imap-dovecot-1.2/data/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> Warning: fd limit 256 is lower than what Dovecot can use under full load (more than 768). Either grow the limit or change login_max_processes_count and max_mail_processes settings
> # OS: SunOS 5.8 sun4u
> base_dir: /software/imap-dovecot-1.2/data/etc/dovecot/

base_dir really isn't meant to be under etc/. Why did you think of
putting it there? Maybe the symlink loop is the only problem currently,
but I can't promise other things won't break in future. The base_dir
should point to somewhere that doesn't contain any other files, so
Dovecot should be free to delete all files under it if it so chooses.
Dovecot also doesn't need any files to permanently exist there, the
whole directory could be deleted every time before startup.