[Dovecot] PostgreSQL driver supporting [round-robin] load balancing and redundancy [LONG]

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 14 22:20:46 EEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 20:56 +0200, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> Multiple connections can be specified in an ordinary connect-string by
> separating the necessary parameters with a ;;;-sequence. For the
> server I was writing about above, this looks like:
>
> connect = host=1.1.1.1 dbname=mailgate user=mailgate_user password=secret sslmode=require ;;; \
>         host=2.2.2.2 dbname=mailgate user=mailgate_user password=secret sslmode=require

I'll look at this patch more closely later, but is it really necessary
to support completely different connect strings for different servers?
MySQL code also already supports round-robin connections and it works
simply by giving multiple host= parameters. I'd guess in most
installations that would be enough..

At some point it probably would be better to abstract out the round
robin code so all SQL drivers could use the same common code for it.