[Dovecot] 2.0.beta4 "OK Still here" not flushed?

Daniel I. Applebaum dovecot at danapple.com
Thu Apr 15 06:12:57 EEST 2010

Hello, everybody!

I've noticed that my installation of K-9 Mail on Android has been
consuming a lot of battery power recently.  I've been running it
connecting to 2.0.beta3 for the past few weeks and just upgraded to
2.0.beta4 while debugging this issue.  There is a conspicuous lack of
"OK Still here" messages in my IDLE connections.  The lack of these "OK
Still here" messages means that the idling connections get dropped very
frequently, which causes K-9 Mail to expend much more effort than just
receiving the periodic "OK Still here" and going back to sleep.

The "OK Still here" messages sometimes arrive, however, just before an
untagged FETCH, however.

I do not know anything about dovecot internals, but I suspected that the
"OK Still here" messages were not being flushed, so I modified line 270
of src/imap/imap-client.c to be:
	if (1 || o_stream_get_buffer_used_size(client->output) >=

which I am sure is the wrong solution, since it forces a flush for every
output line and would be quite inefficient.  However, with that
modification, the "OK Still here" messages appear reliably.  Hopefully,
there is a way to specifically flush just the "OK Still here" messages
appropriately.

I'd be happy to test any real solutions to this issue.

Sincerely,
Dan.