[Dovecot] sieve plugin - reject sends MDN. Can it 550 reject ?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Apr 16 00:37:54 EEST 2010

on 4-15-2010 2:05 PM Ken A spake the following:
> I'm using dovecot-1.2-sieve-0.1.15 with dovecot-1.2.11.
>
> I have a reject test filter that looks like this:
>
> require "reject";
> if header :contains "subject" "reject" {
> reject "bye";
> }
>
> Is there any way to get a "reject" filter to send back a 550 reject as
> detailed in http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/rfc5429/#section-2.5 rather
> than a MDN?
>
> The MDN can result in blowback spam. :-(
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

Only the MTA can do that. By the time dovecot gets the message it has already
been accepted, and it is too late for a reject. You could try a milter that
runs in front of your mailserver and can reject a message during the data
phase. Once accepted, and the connection is closed, there is no way to do what
you ask.