[Dovecot] [SUGGESTION] Managesieve: Transparent home dir creation

Felix Leimbach felix.leimbach at gmx.net
Fri Apr 16 02:51:22 EEST 2010

Hi all,

I'm using dovecot 2.0-beta4's sieve plugin and it works great but here
is an idea for improvement:

When creating the first sieve script for an account whose home dir does
not yet exist then dovecot *does* create that homedir but the sieve
client times out. Tried Thunderbird's sieve addon as well as horde's ingo.

The log says:

dovecot: managesieve-login: Login: user=<me at example.com>, method=PLAIN,
rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured
dovecot: managesieve(me at example.com): sieve-storage:
sieve_storage_verify_dir(/mnt/data/vmail/dovecot-homedirs/example.com/me//sieve/tmp)
failed: File exists
dovecot: managesieve(me at example.com): Fatal: Failed to open Sieve storage.

Because the homedir was created (great!) when I retry the same action
then all works perfectly well.
So why not make that homedir creation transparent so that the clients'
first try succeeds instead of the second try?

Cheers,
Felix