[Dovecot] ACLs and public folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 16 18:21:33 EEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 12:39 +0200, hyperbatus at gmx.de wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am using dovecot 1.0.15 on Debian Lenny. I have a public folder, I use ACL / vfile (without public ACL), and I use maildir / vmail. Now I have two questions:
>
> 1) http://wiki.dovecot.org/ACL states: "Mailboxes in public namespaces don't have owners, so by default no-one can access them." The same document, when explaining the meaning of the k flag in the ACLs, states: "Mailboxes can be created (or renamed) under this mailbox (there is no recursion, so creating a mailbox under this mailbox's child uses only the child's ACLs)"

See if the docs now make more sense (I'm not entirely sure if it works
like this in v1.0, but in more recent versions it should):

k : create : Mailboxes can be created (or renamed) directly under this
mailbox (but not necessarily under its children, see ACL Inheritance
section above)

ACL Inheritance

Every time you create a new mailbox, it gets its ACLs from the parent
mailbox. If you're creating a root-level mailbox, it uses the
namespace's default ACLs. There is no actual inheritance, however: If
you modify parent's ACLs, the child's ACLs stay the same. There is
currently no support for ACL inheritance.

The default ACLs are read from "dovecot-acl" file in the namespace's
mail root directory (e.g. /var/public/Maildir).