[Dovecot] best choice of user database file to work with postfix?

Rainer Frey rainer.frey at inxmail.de
Thu Apr 22 12:18:09 EEST 2010

On Wednesday 21 April 2010 21:30:12 Thomas Leuxner wrote:
> I'm running a setup that should be good enough for what you are trying to
> achieve. All user information is stored in flat files per domain and you
> may override per user settings individually:
>
> passdb {
>   args = username_format=%u /var/vmail/auth.d/%d/passwd
>   driver = passwd-file
> }
>
> userdb {
>   args = username_format=%u /var/vmail/auth.d/%d/passwd
>   driver = passwd-file
> }
>
> $ cat passwd
> user at domain.tld:{scheme}<password>:5000:5000::/var/vmail/domain.tld/user::u
> serdb_quota_rule=*:storage=5G userdb_acl_groups=PublicMailboxAdmins

[...]

> See how aliases are used for routing and to authenticate valid mail from
> senders with one file:
>
> $ cat virtual
> alias at domain.tld                login at domain.tld
> postmaster at domain.tld           login at domain.tld
>
> [main.cf]
> virtual_mailbox_domains = domain.tld, domain1.tld
> virtual_mailbox_base = /var/vmail
> virtual_minimum_uid = 100
> virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
> virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
> virtual_transport = lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp

What I don't see here at all (and neither in your Wiki Howto) is how Postfix
determines the valid recipients for the domains in virtual_mailbox_domains.

The correct parameter would be  virtual_mailbox_maps, but AFAIK there is no
lookup table that read the passwd format from an arbitrary file. So a script
that generates a hash/whatever postfix lookup file from the passwd-files would
still be necessary.

Or do you use recipient validation via LMTP? (I didn't notice a
reject_unverified_recipient though) This at least won't work with deliver, I'm
not even sure about LMTP.

> Regards
> Thomas

Rainer