[Dovecot] message to imap users when connecting ?

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Thu Apr 22 17:48:40 EEST 2010

With UWIMAP and TBird, if you had a file /etc/imap.alert (or some such,
I forget), the message therein would pop up in a small window (the
length of the text was severely limited) on the client when you did
virtually anything, again and again.
This would be valuable in the case of a campus-wide
emergency/lockdown/etc.  The behavior was really persistently
in-your-face annoying amounting to making  mail difficult to use (which
could be a problem if a user is trying to send discrete emergency msgs
to other individuals....tha ALERTs get in the way).

Correct me if I am wrong (please), but the referenced measure seems like
it would only popup at login (does it appear on the TBIRD client?).

FWIW, Timo prototyped an reincarnation of that classic ALERT function here:
http://www.dovecot.org/patches/1.1/imap-alert-plugin.c
at my request, but I got sidetracked and never implemented it.  Has
anyone else implemented it?

Steffen Kaiser wrote:

--
==== Once upon a time, the Internet was a friendly,
neighbors-helping-neighbors small town, and no one locked their doors.