[Dovecot] best choice of user database file to work with postfix

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Thu Apr 22 19:12:41 EEST 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:03:00 +0200
Rainer <rainer.frey at inxmail.de> articulated:

> Well, it leaves out the *one tricky part* of using a flat file
> database for virtual users with dovecot and postfix: there is no
> common format that both understand directly.

I have not been following this thread as closely as I probably should
have; however, I was wondering what the OP's problem was with using
MySQL? It would greatly simplify the job of constructing and
maintaining databases. It is even possible to create tables that both
Postfix and Dovecot can use jointly if desired. I use MySQL for several
projects, and would never go back to using 'flat files" unless there
was no other way to achieve my goal.

If the OP does not know how to construct a usable table in MySQL, I
would be willing to work with him as I am sure would others on this
list.

The thread subject implies that the OP wants the best choice for a
database file system and that would be, IMHO, a SQL one.

Just my 2¢.

--
Jerry
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net