[Dovecot] adding users to passwd-file

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 23:46:05 EEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Heiko Schlittermann <hs at schlittermann.de>wrote:

> Some people use „htpasswd“, but there not password scheme is coded into
> the password hash.
>
> It's not clear what you're seeking - some tool for generating the hashed
> string (e.g. „openssl passwd -1 "$cleartext"“) or some tool for managing
> the
> entries in the (dovecot) password file.

I left it vague to handle some variety.  Something to add/delete users is
nice.  Something to change password in place is nice.  Something that given
a user and plain text password and everything else Dovecot needs when using
it as userdb, and would output to stdout the line contents that would go
into the file, would do the job.

I want to avoid re-inventing the wheel.  If there are no wheels, I guess
I'll just look up the salted-MD5 format details and do it.