[Dovecot] Panic: file mail-index-sync-ext.c: line 212 (sync_ext_reorder): assertion failed: (offset < (uint16_t)-1)

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Wed Apr 28 10:16:11 EEST 2010

Dennis Guhl put forth on 4/28/2010 1:59 AM:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:36:41AM +0200, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> Hello,
>> we are using dovecot v1.2.10 on debian stable (lenny) systems with
>
> This is not directly a solution for your problem, but debian stabel
> does not include dovecot 1.2 only 1.0. You got this doveot version
> from backports where 1.2.11 is current.
>
> So it might be worth a shot to upgrade your dovecot to 1.2.11 and have
> a look if it still fails.

Yes, definitely go up to 1.2.11 if you're using mbox storage format.  There
are some serious mbox fixes in 1.2.11.  Also take note of this in the Debian
provided dovecot.conf regarding nfs locking:

##
## mbox-specific settings
##

# Which locking methods to use for locking mbox. There are four available:
#  dotlock: Create <mailbox>.lock file. This is the oldest and most NFS-safe
#           solution. If you want to use /var/mail/ like directory, the users
#           will need write access to that directory.
#  dotlock_try: Same as dotlock, but if it fails because of permissions or
#               because there isn't enough disk space, just skip it.
#  fcntl  : Use this if possible. Works with NFS too if lockd is used.
#  flock  : May not exist in all systems. Doesn't work with NFS.
#  lockf  : May not exist in all systems. Doesn't work with NFS.
#
# You can use multiple locking methods; if you do the order they're declared
# in is important to avoid deadlocks if other MTAs/MUAs are using multiple
# locking methods as well. Some operating systems don't allow using some of
# them simultaneously.
#
# The Debian value for mbox_write_locks differs from upstream Dovecot. It is
# changed to be compliant with Debian Policy (section 11.6) for NFS safety.
#       Dovecot: mbox_write_locks = dotlock fcntl
#       Debian:  mbox_write_locks = fcntl dotlock
#

--
Stan