[Dovecot] Question about auth multiple configuration

Heiko Schlittermann hs at schlittermann.de
Wed Apr 28 22:34:03 EEST 2010

Fabrice MATHIEU <simpsons_bart_cs at hotmail.com> (Mi 28 Apr 2010 19:12:31 CEST):

> Hello,
>
> My mail system is build with postfix, dovecot and roundcube.
> In first time users can view and "manage" their mail only on the webmail.
> So this one (webmail) use IMAP (no tls/ssl at all) authentication to give access to users maildir. This connection is made on the 'loopback' interface and use PLAIN method.
> This works fine (configuration below without ssl parameters).
(…)
> That's normal. But 127.0.0.1 client(network) is considered by dovecot as secure, so won't the auth possible without certificate ?
>
> Can't we make two auth policy to make secure (client crt require) for public IP/client and less "secure" (without crt client) for local process (postfix) and local newtwork(127.0.0.1) for roundcube ?
> I see section "auth default { ... }" and is used by ... default ! But can we make an other one to make this two particular authentication on the same "instance" ?
(…)

If I understood well, you're looking for the config option like
login_trusted_networks (as available in 1.2.11, I don't know since when).

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -