[Dovecot] Problems with Mailbox is in inconsistent state, please relogin.

Daniel Machado Grilo daniel.grilo at pdmfc.com
Thu Apr 29 00:06:42 EEST 2010

Dear Dovecot users,

I'm a sysadmin in a company that recently migrated the IMAP from
courier-imap to dovecot :-) *urray*

Everything with the perl migrating scripts (version 1.0) went with OKs
and it was a lot of fun (and pray) to move 400Gb of mails and migrate..
and everything is working even better :-)

The problem is for some outside users that use webmails, like:
   - Squirrel
   - Roundcube
   - Horde

They claim that the connection is constantly dropping.. You might say
now: "Webmail's fault!!!" as I said in the beginning :)

But the IMAP logs shows SEVERAL times (almost every 10mins ?!):

Apr 28 21:10:48 olive dovecot: IMAP(rcoelho):
Maildir /cluster/mail/mailboxes/rcoelho sync: UID inserted in the middle
of mailbox (192736 > 192720, file = msg.LDW0C)
Apr 28 21:10:48 olive dovecot: IMAP(rcoelho): Disconnected: Mailbox is
in inconsistent state, please relogin.

Apr 28 19:14:11 olive dovecot: IMAP(pcorreia):
Maildir /cluster/mail/mailboxes/pcorreia sync: UID < next_uid (7874 <
7875, file = msg.5BNVC)
Apr 28 19:14:12 olive dovecot: IMAP(pcorreia): Disconnected: Mailbox is
in inconsistent state, please relogin.

and so on.

I read somewhere on the web that configuring the mbox_lazy_write=no
should work .. it did not :-)

I have CentOS 5.4 in our mailserver, so the version of dovecot is not
the latest (it is 1.0.7)..

But of course, this is production environment and I don't want to update
if its not needed :-)

So my questions are:
   - Is this a known bug for this version and I have to upgrade ?
   - Is this a problem in my configs for dovecot ?
   - Can this be other problem than dovecot ? -- so probably i should be
able to add more debug anoying messages to our logs ?
   - Probably something went wrong in the migration for these maildirs?
So now what can we do to fix this ?

Our mail is working and, at the moment, I found 3 users with this
error.. They have about 10Gb of mail each, I don't think this is a
problem for dovecot.. only for our storages.. :-)

Tks for your patience,
   Best Regards!