[Dovecot] Question about auth multiple configuration

Fabrice MATHIEU simpsons_bart_cs at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 30 03:06:15 EEST 2010

Hello,

   Okay now all works as we which.

   Two dovecot instance are running : one for imaps with client crt required, and one for local imap only (webmail and client socket for sasl)

I have just make two new directory for base_dir and login_dir. (/var/run/dovecot_secure/ && /var/run/dovecot_secure/login)
Owner and mod are same as the default dovecot directory (/var/run/dovecot)

Then just copy the default dovecot.conf to dovecot_secure.conf (for example).
Settings are shown below.

Now has the link below start the second instance with -c flag.
On freeBSD (from 6.3 and 7) the rc.d/dovecot start script includes abilities to start multiples instances. Just add "dovecot_config" in your rc.conf.
Like this :
dovecot_enable="YES"
dovecot_config="/path/to/etc/dovecot.conf /path/to/etc/dovecot_secure.conf"

And enjoy ^^

   Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 19:31 +0200, Fabrice MATHIEU wrote:
>
> > I will try to make two dovecot configuration but can this make problems to make concurrent access (process) to the maildir ?
>
> No problems with concurrent access. The processes are already
> independently accessing maildir. But see
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/RunningDovecot#Running_Multiple_Invocations_of_Dovecot

### Dovecot.conf ###
protocols = imap
listen = 127.0.0.1
disable_plaintext_auth = yes
ssl = no
mail_location = maildir:/X/Y/%d/%n
mail_privileged_group = mail
dotlock_use_excl = yes
verbose_proctitle = yes
first_valid_uid = 1000
first_valid_gid = 1000
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
protocol imap {
  imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
}

protocol pop3 {
  pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
  pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
}
protocol managesieve {
}
protocol lda {
  postmaster_address = postmaster at ola
  hostname = fqdn_host
  sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
}
auth_username_format = %Lu
auth_verbose = no
auth_debug = no
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain login
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = username_format=%n /X/Y/Z/%d/usr_pas
  }
  userdb passwd-file {
    args = username_format=%n /X/Y/Z/%d/usr_pas
  }
  user = root
  socket listen {
    master {
      path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode = 0600
    }
    client {
      path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode = 0660
      user = postfix
      group = wheel
    }
  }
}

### Dovecot_secure.conf ###
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot_secure/
protocols = imaps
disable_plaintext_auth = yes
ssl_listen = x.y.z.w
ssl = required
ssl_cert_file = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key_file = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_ca_file = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot_ca.pem
ssl_verify_client_cert = yes
ssl_cert_username_field = commonName
login_dir = /var/run/dovecot_secure/login
mail_location = maildir:/X/Y/%d/%n
mail_privileged_group = asyouwish
[...]

  ssl_require_client_cert = yes
  ssl_username_from_cert = no