[Dovecot] IMAP/POP3 Proxy Redundancy

Cory cory.meyer at iowatelecom.net
Wed Aug 4 19:14:28 EEST 2010

  Looking over the list archives and Wiki there doesn't seem to be any
sort of built-in host redundancy with the proxy.  I would prefer to use
a built in though it doesn't look like this is possible.

One of the suggestions that I found in the list archives was to write a
script which checks the health of the hosts and adjusts the MySQL table
accordingly.   Has anyone done anything like this in production?

Thanks,

Cory

Here is a sample of what I'm testing the proxy with.

CREATE TABLE `users` (
   `user` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
   `filesystem` varchar(5) NOT NULL,
   PRIMARY KEY  (`user`),
   UNIQUE KEY `idx_user` (`user`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1

CREATE TABLE `hostmap` (
   `id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
   `filesystem` varchar(5) NOT NULL COMMENT 'Filesystem identifier',
   `ip` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL,
   `alive` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '1',
   PRIMARY KEY  (`id`),
   UNIQUE KEY `idx_hostmap` (`filesystem`,`ip`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=103 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1

password_query = SELECT  user,NULL as password, INET_NTOA(hostmap.ip) as
host, 'Y' AS proxy_maybe from users left join hostmap on
users.filesystem=hostmap.filesystem where hostmap.alive=1 and
users.user='%u' limit 1;