[Dovecot] Strange behaviour when add new mailbox to IMAP (v 1.2.13)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 6 17:49:43 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 11:51 +0300, Alexander Chekalin wrote:

> I use Thunderbird (yesterday it was 3.1.1 and now it is 3.1.2) as my
> IMAP client. When I connect to my IMAP account on second server, and
> create mailbox, I see that there appears greyed folder named
> #virtual^Sent , and my new mailbox is in it.

Did you add that "#virtual^Sent" prefix yourself? Did you configure it
in your TB setup? Is it intended to have it?

> To check the problem I simplified my Dovecot config to the bare minimum,
> and it also won't work (#virtual^Sent still there). When I see on server
> disk, I see there .#virtual^Sent.NewTestMailbox dir (NewTestMailbox is
> the test mailbox I created), but there is no .#virtual^Sent dir.

There doesn't need to be ".#virtual^Sent" dir for it to have children,
that's normal.

But your explanation is confusing. Also make sure it's not a Thunderbird
configuration problem. Talk IMAP protocol directly to your server:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation and show me what commands give
unexpected results. For creating mailboxes you can use:

a create "mailbox name"