[Dovecot] dovecot.conf: mechanisms = plain login cram-md5 | Windows Live Mail: CRAM-MD5 authentication failed. This could (NOT) be due to a lack of memory on your system

Jerrale G jerrale at sheltoncomputers.com
Sun Aug 8 01:51:04 EEST 2010

/etc/dovecot.conf:

auth default {
mechanisms=plain login cram-md5
         passdb {
#..............

Windows Live Mail:
CRAM-MD5 authentication failed. This could be due to a lack of memory on
your system.
Your IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network
errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on your system.

Configuration:
    Account: Sheltoncomputers (testuser)
    Server: mail.sheltoncomputers.com
    User name: testuser at sheltoncomputers.com
    Protocol: IMAP
    Port: 993
    Secure(SSL): 1
    Code: 800cccdf

The console I'm using is 4 GB ram; so, this dumb error of windoze dead
mail is irrelevant. The other mechanisms of TLS/no tls plain login work
fine. The passwords are stored in mysql as md5(password) but this works
on others not using cram-md5 (secure login of the client). I'm trying to
support a plethora of mechanisms for the convenience of the customer and .

Jerrale G.
Senior Admin