[Dovecot] Thunderbird namespace handling

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Tue Aug 10 20:10:38 EEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:52:48PM +0100, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> The point of namespace list was for clients to be able to figure out
> what the namespaces there are. With list=yes and hidden=yes for your
> only namespace you wouldn't be listing any namespaces, so clients
> would think you don't have any personal namespaces at all..

You are now confusing me :

My understanding of "list = yes" was "while you're listing my parent
namespace's content, list my content as well" or. That is, to me, the
"list=yes" totally voids the concept of namespace.

So basically if a client doesn't support NAMESPACE command at all (and
if it hasn't any clue in its conf about what the namespaces are), it has
to rely on list=yes.

Maybe your sentence above means "if a client who plays by the rules (via
NAMESPACE command) and hidden=yes, won't even see the default
namespace."

But if so, that would be weird that a bad client would be able to list
mailboxes and not a good client ?

Or said in another way, I don't understand why list=yes isn't enough in
anycase to list a namespace content.

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau