[Dovecot] Folder Aliases - Revisited Yet Again

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Fri Aug 13 03:04:07 EEST 2010

  I just did a search through my archives - seems this topic has been
requested a few times since my posting two years ago.  I asked about a
specific implementation - which Mr. Sirainen never commented on.  He was
probably focused on something more important at the time - like a paying
job.  So I'll ask again...

Calling Timo!

If we can't get clients to agree on a "standard" set of folders
(probably reasonably safe assumption) and if protocol implementations of
variations of "*LIST*" are too far in the future...what about having
alternative folder names presented based on login name - maybe by an
extension?  So where my usual login might be "user at domain.com", and that
would continue to be supported as the default login, I could now have
"user at domain.com+thunderbird", "user at domain.com+mobile", etc.?

And each of those extensions would then have a system-wide map defining
folder name relationships, like "Sent=Sent Items".  Does this seem doable?

--
Daniel