[Dovecot] Upgrade to 2.0 - Not so smooth

Bradley Giesbrecht bradley.giesbrecht at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 16:29:45 EEST 2010

On Aug 15, 2010, at 9:04 PM, Jim wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2010, at 4:01 PM, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> Seems to me that it wouldn't take a lot of code to at lease find if
>> they have adduser or useradd.
>
> Or in the case of OS X, dscl...
>
> Documenting this is good, but perhaps the configure script could
> check if the user exists, and instruct the user to create this
> manually before going any further?

And some may be building binaries packages for distribution so forcing
user creation on a build server would be extra unhelpful work.

On thing I was considering was if patching to allow configure to set --
default_login_user=_dovenull and --default_internal_user=_dovecot. I
don't think this is a big deal but it would allow package builders to
build packages with default names that match their distributions.

BTW, things are fine the way they are. The fewer options that meet the
needs the better.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht