[Dovecot] Standards of expectations for software installs

Leonardo Rodrigues leolistas at solutti.com.br
Mon Aug 16 17:42:06 EEST 2010

Em 16/08/2010 11:23, Marc Perkel escreveu:

> Timo's software standards, and mine, are higher than the average open
> source project. When an install id done right then you don't have to
> go to the wiki for anything. You run it and it just works. That's why
> people pay for Windows and Macs and more people use it than Linux
> because it just works. You start an upgrade anf click NEXT AGREE NEXT
> NEXT NEXT FINISH and everything just works. That's the way Linux
> should be.
>
> So - even though something might be a minor detail, when you get the
> minor details right then you get software the "it just works" which is
> in my opinion the highest thing one can say about a program. And it's
> who dovecot is so popular.

     hey Marc, you're not alone !!! As well as you, i also expect
software updates to be always perfect and magic .... so i dont have to
have a clue of what i'm real doing, as softwares will take care of all
the inteligence that i should have.

     but, i think different from you, i understand and accept that
there's no magic.

     upgrades on complex environment MUST be planned, new version
features should be understood and in almost all cases, including some M$
updates of complex software/ environment, lots of pre-upgrade and
post-upgrades actions should be taken.

     i would love to just click yes yes and everything works as magic
.... but, unfortunelly, i accept that wont happen in the real (and most
all the times complex) scenarios we have.

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues

	gertrudes at solutti.com.br