[Dovecot] v2.0.0 released

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Aug 17 03:43:52 EEST 2010

On 8/16/10 8:38 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>>     Works fine here with the 12.1 compiler.  Solaris 10 on UltraSPARC,
>> current patches, on both the OS and the compilers.  My CFLAGS:
>>
>>     -fast -xtarget=ultra3 -m32 -xarch=sparcvis2
 >
> The is ye ol'production Solaris 8 and thus Sun Studio 11 is needed.

   Oh.  Eeeew. :)

> Problem solved simply by using GCC 4.5.1 from Blastwave ( of course ).

   I wonder how GCCFSS would do.  Will it even run under Solaris 8?

> Question for you: why would you use -m32 with an -xarch=sparcvis2 ?  Why
> not go for greatest possible portability and range of processors with
> something like this :
>
> CFLAGS=-m32 -Qy -Xa -xbuiltin=%none -xnolibmil -xnolibmopt -xcode=pic32
> -xildoff -xregs=no%appl -xs -xstrconst -D_TS_ERRNO

   Because I don't intend to run it on a range of processors. =)

> If you feel like some optimization then chuck in -xO3 and -xdepend however
> I'd test the resultant bins from a basic compile first.
>
> Just my 0.02

   Fair enough, and I appreciate your advice.  My goal in this case is
to generate the fastest binaries possible on the machine it's being
built on, which is identical to the machine it's going to be run on.
There's zero need for portable binaries in this particular installation.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL