[Dovecot] REpeated e-mail

Jerrale G jerralegayle at sheltoncomputers.com
Wed Aug 18 06:55:11 EEST 2010

  On 8/17/2010 10:53 PM, The Doctor wrote:
> Using 1.2.11
>
> I am getting some people repeating that they are getting repeated POP3 e-mails.
>
> My configuration is
>
> # 1.2.11: /usr/dovecot/etc/dovecot.conf
> # OS: BSD/OS 4.3 i386
> base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
> protocols: pop3 pop3s  imap imaps
> ssl_listen: 204.209.81.1
> ssl_cipher_list: ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2
> disable_plaintext_auth: no
> login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
> login_executable(default): /usr/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(imap): /usr/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(pop3): /usr/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
> mail_max_userip_connections(default): 10
> mail_max_userip_connections(imap): 10
> mail_max_userip_connections(pop3): 3
> first_valid_uid: 100
> mail_location: mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
> dbox_rotate_days: 0
> mail_executable(default): /usr/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(imap): /usr/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(pop3): /usr/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/pop3
> mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/dovecot/lib/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/dovecot/lib/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/dovecot/lib/dovecot/pop3
> imap_client_workarounds(default): delay-newmail netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
> imap_client_workarounds(imap): delay-newmail netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
> imap_client_workarounds(pop3):
> pop3_no_flag_updates(default): no
> pop3_no_flag_updates(imap): no
> pop3_no_flag_updates(pop3): yes
> pop3_enable_last(default): no
> pop3_enable_last(imap): no
> pop3_enable_last(pop3): yes
> pop3_save_uidl(default): no
> pop3_save_uidl(imap): no
> pop3_save_uidl(pop3): yes
> pop3_client_workarounds(default):
> pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
> pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
> auth default:
>    executable: /usr/contrib/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth
>    passdb:
>      driver: passwd-file
>      args: /etc/master.passwd
>    userdb:
>      driver: passwd
>    userdb:
>      driver: passwd-file
>      args: /etc/passwd

I had this problem, on IMAP, too and it was because of an error with the
dictionary service. I was getting repeated mails from this list, using
Dovecot as the LDA. The dictionary service problem was on dovecot 1.2.13
and was an error on Timio's part. He is suppose to patch it in 1.2.14,
if I understood him correctly.  When I disabled all dictionary services,
dovecot worked perfectly.

The disabling was not a problem for me and can be worked around for
being required for quota or expire by using a script for expire and
doing quota by Maildir. If you use dbox or mbox, you'll need the
dictionary service.

Make sure you have no errors in your log.

Jerrale G.
SC Senior Admin