[Dovecot] Linux should be as easy as Windows

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Aug 18 18:04:13 EEST 2010

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> Let's hope the big corporate world never calls up Mr. T ( dovecot author
> ) and tosses a billion dollars at him. A few million sure ... but not a
> billion. Otherwise dovecot would be wrecked by the greedy pigs at Oracle
> or IBM or Apple etc. Just my opinion.

Hi Dennis.  If the demand is there then a fork under a different name can
occur from the last OSS version.  This has happened many times in the OSS
community (eg OpenMosix).  It nearly happened with CentOS recently of
course.

Some people insist the name change is damaging but I think the evidence is
against it.  Many projects have changed names due to the insistence of a
company that held some control of the name in question and the projects
have been just fine (Firefox, Wireshark for example).

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440