[Dovecot] Mobile phone client - first access

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Fri Aug 20 12:33:57 EEST 2010

Ladies and gentlemen, good morning!  With my first post to the list,
may I begin by saying how impressed I have been by Dovecot's
performance on our Debian server.  We've configured it to run with
Exim and Fetchmail, using Dovecot to manage professional and domestic
emails for a small home office, serving a number of Windows and Linux
clients both on the internal network and, when working overseas, via
SSH tunnels back to the Debian server.  Dovecot's performance has
been, simply, rock-solid; a very impressive piece of work by Timo and
all those supporting him.

My ordinary mobile phone - a Sony Ericsson C510 - includes an email
client with IMAP capability (and none, TLS, or SSL encryption).
Configured to access our server across the mobile carrier's network,
the results surprised me; they were not what I expected.

The first surprise was, it worked.

More seriously, the messages it retrieved were not what I expected;
the phone received around 58 messages, but from the 'inbox', the
'junk' box, and a couple from a 'project' box.  I had expected to only
retrieve the messages that were in the 'inbox'.  How does Dovecot
'decide' what messages to give the phone client?  [I think I may have
the wrong 'mental model' of what should have happened, and would
appreciate being put right.]  Is it possible to configure Dovecot to
only serve specific boxes?  The mobile phone client is extremely
simple - it does not have the facility to 'browse' the folders, it
only has an inbox, sentbox, etc; I have wondered whether there might
be a 'jar' email client that is richer, and which might help - I will
look for something anyway.

But I was impressed that my mobile phone could check our home and
office email while offsite; if I can get that working it will save
having to fire up the laptop at each opportunity.

Thanks very much for reading this far, and, also, thanks everyone who
takes the time to contribute to the list,

regards, Ron