[Dovecot] Mobile phone client detects 'PUSH' server

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Sun Aug 22 13:42:12 EEST 2010

Thomas Leuxner wrote:
> Am 22.08.2010 um 11:31 schrieb Ron Leach:
>
>> Does Dovecot really provide a 'PUSH' email service?
>
> Dovecot supports 'IMAP IDLE' for quite some time. Given the fact
> the mobile client can handle this (few can), the client will be
> notified immediately.

Astonishing.  Is there anything it doesn't do ;)

(We've just been happily using Dovecot for a couple of years, very
reliably, unaware of the richer features.)

> Searching for IMAP IDLE on the list will
> reveal more information.

Thomas, thank you, very much indeed, for saying what the feature is
called.  I'm certainly going to look at that.

Presumably we're last in line, here, I imagine everyone else is
already using their ordinary mobile phones with Dovecot (at least, the
SE models, which all seem to have this client).  I expect that quite a
few of the archived messages will deal with this.

Again thanks, Thomas, regards, Ron