[Dovecot] Live Mirror dovecot / OS X 10.6.4 (Timo Sirainen)

Eric Boltz (MMI / UPC) eboltz at marathonmonitors.com
Wed Aug 25 12:43:58 EEST 2010

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> Two potential problems I see with this:
> 1. If users can do any changes on the secondary server (flag changes,
> saving new mails, etc), you're going to have problems syncing the
> changes back (without losing any changes or causing other problems).
>
> 2. If users can access the secondary server via IMAP clients, the
> clients could become confused if the secondary server isn't completely
> up-to-date.
>
> With v2.0 dsync would help with the first problem.

Change in strategy.
Primary rsyncs regularly to the secondary which keeps all mail services
off. When primary fails email services are started manually until
primary back online. Then I (or another ITer) manually stop the backup,
rsycn and restart services on the primary. A bit labor intensive, but it
should work.