[Dovecot] Signal 11 - can't get core dump?

Thomas Leuxner tlx at leuxner.net
Wed Aug 25 19:38:27 EEST 2010

Am 25.08.2010 um 18:26 schrieb Marty Anstey:

> We will give these suggestions a try. If we succeed in getting a core
> dump, i'll report back.... otherwise, it looks like our best option will
> be to upgrade.

It's not that hard to find guidance on how to enable core dumps on your distro. Actually it comes up on the first page on Google. Only thing you have to apply is reverse logic in order to enable them:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-disable-core-dumps/

Educated guess would be to add the correct parameters to '/etc/security/limits.conf', or as they are likely to be overridden by start-scripts or service 'defaults' to wherever RH flavors do that…

# grep -i core /etc/security/*
# grep -i core /etc/default/*

Updating is advised in any case but will spoil the fun of searching for the tweaks, and at some point you may require the same thing with the current releases and then you're back to the start.

Regards
Thomas