[Dovecot] When should dictionary entries for the expire plugin be added/updated?

Ralph Seichter dovecot-ml at seichter.de
Wed Aug 25 19:42:53 EEST 2010

On 25.08.10 16:51, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> It was clear to me what you meant, but you gave only two choices [...]

Ah, I see. ;-)

> You could switch to using LMTP.

I used http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixDovecotLMTP as a starting
point and switched from

  mailbox_command = /usr/local/dovecot-2.0/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda

  mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp

In my Postfix main.cf. As server.domain.tld is listed in mydestination,
I use mailbox_transport instead of virtual_transport. This does not seem
to work, though:

  postfix/lmtp[20701]: 2C59018E0E8: to=<user at server.domain.tld>,
  relay=server.domain.tld[private/dovecot-lmtp], delay=0.04,
  delays=0.02/0/0/0.01, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host
  server.domain.tld[private/dovecot-lmtp] said: 550 5.1.1
  <user at server.domain.tld> User doesn't exist: user at server.domain.tld

What would be required to make Dovecot store mail for user at server.domain.tld
in /home/user/.maildir?

BTW, when I do use virtual_transport (which I shouldn't, if I understand
Postfix correctly), mail for user at server.domain.tld is delivered locally
by Postfix into the proper maildir, but bypasses Dovecot LMTP alltogether.

-Ralph