[Dovecot] Configuration Update From v1.x To v2.0.1-2

Carlos Mennens carloswill at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 21:52:24 EEST 2010

I just upgraded my Dovecot IMAP package on my mail server and when I
restarted the service, I got the following warnings...

doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:12:
add auth_ prefix to all settings inside auth {} and remove the auth {}
section completely
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:14:
passdb pam {} has been replaced by passdb { driver=pam }
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:16:
userdb passwd {} has been replaced by userdb { driver=passwd }
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:18:
auth_user has been replaced by service auth { user }

The list was much longer but I was able to self resolve them. I was
wondering if someone here can assist me in converting my
'dovecot.conf' file?

Below is how my dovecot.conf file appears:

protocols = imap
disable_plaintext_auth = yes
log_timestamp = "%b %d %H:%M:%S "
mail_location = maildir:~/mail
auth_username_chars =
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@
protocol imap {
  imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail tb-extra-mailbox-sep
}
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain login
  passdb pam {
  }
  userdb passwd {
  }
  user = root
  socket listen {
    client {
      path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
      user = postfix
      group = postfix
      mode = 0660
    }
  }
}

***doveconf -n***

[root at mail /]# doveconf -n
# 2.0.1: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:12:
add auth_ prefix to all settings inside auth {} and remove the auth {}
section completely
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:14:
passdb pam {} has been replaced by passdb { driver=pam }
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:16:
userdb passwd {} has been replaced by userdb { driver=passwd }
doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:18:
auth_user has been replaced by service auth { user }
# OS: Linux 2.6.35 x86_64
auth_mechanisms = plain login
mail_location = maildir:~/mail
passdb {