[Dovecot] nfs director

Edward avanti edward.avanti at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 01:54:21 EEST 2010

Halo,
Please can you explain why this is advantage over a hardware load balancer.
I fail to see advantage if anything it add in more point of failure, with
several hundred thousand user, we can ill afford to mess around or add to
complexity, sometime keeping it simple is simply way to be, when use
qmail/vpopmail, we never had one failure or problem, ever, we very proud of
this record so our users.

if director service assign 60K user to each front end,  how it handle if 5K
simultaneous user login, but all 5K happen to be assign to that one machine,
it do all work whilst other 7 server sit there do nothing negating what the
LB is design for?

Is it really worth it? Do we really need this, or just let foundry switch
handle it as it does now.
We also have 24 front end SMTP server, these deliver mail to netapp filer,
all 24 plus 8 pop3 server and 2 webmail imap server all mount /vmail, so all
access same maildir. it seem work very effective thus far and for many many
year when we use qmail and vpopmail.

Thaks