[Dovecot] dovecot - mac firewall problem

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun Aug 29 04:22:41 EEST 2010

Patrick Fay put forth on 8/28/2010 7:57 PM:

>>> I was hoping to use the application firewall because this machine gets used both as a server as well as a client machine for more general use.  I haven't been able to find any specific documentation for it, but I have found that the firewall works fine with postfix and several file services I use (enabling/disabling works as expected, process names get logged as expected, etc).   Thanks!
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>
>> So, you're running Dovecot and Postfix on a laptop?  WTF?
>>

>     Sorry for the confusion--no laptop involved.  Postfix, dovecot, etc, all running on intel-based desktop mac (a mac pro).

Same difference.  You're running a full blown MTA and an IMAP server on
a "client" machine.  Why?  Is this a production level setup?  Or do you
have these server daemons installed merely for testing purposes before
putting a dedicated server box into production?

Running a production setup of an MTA and IMAP server on one's
workstation, with an MX record etc pointed at the box, is very, very...
odd, rare.

--
Stan