[Dovecot] Sent mail issue

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sun Aug 29 20:18:29 EEST 2010

Piyush Joshi put forth on 8/29/2010 10:17 AM:
> Dear All,
>               I have few question regarding dovecot configuration for
> specific need which are as follows:-
>
> 1. I have IMAP folder with the name Sent Mail and i want whenever
> client uses any MUA  to send mail from my server his mail must be kept
> in server's IMAP folder which is Sent Mail instead of local Sent
> folder.
>
> 2. Whenever user configures account in MUA, MUA automatically create
> some new folder like Junk Mail etc. while i am already using Spam
> folder to keep spam message in that folder so let me know how can i
> save myself from this.
>
> 3. Is there any thing which can also put deleted message in my
> server's Trash folder.

You cannot control these things via Dovecot.  These things must be
addressed at the MUA level.  If you are an ISP there is no way you can
accomplish this because you have no control over customer PCs.  If you
are a business, univ, etc, and you have administrative control over all
desktops/laptops, then you can implement a site wide policy to control
the behavior of the MUAs.

There are a number of enterprise management tools for Windows, Linux,
and Mac OSX you could use to manage these settings on the MUAs to effect
what you desire above.  Such enterprise management tools are beyond the
scope of discussion of the Dovecot list.  If all your desktops are
Microsoft you can use AD group policies.  If you have mixed Windows and
Linux desktops you may want to look at Novell ZENworks.  Google
"enterprise management tools"

--
Stan