[Dovecot] Dovecot dict process privileges

Jerrale G jerralegayle at sheltoncomputers.com
Mon Aug 30 18:09:25 EEST 2010

  On 8/20/2010 12:48 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 12:43 -0400, Jerrale G wrote:
>
>> I had the same problem as you with 2.0; 1.2.x I couldn't get dict to
>> work at all for an error in the code. Here is how I fixed 2.0 though:
>>
>> service dict {
>>     unix_listener dict {
>>     user = mail<<  same as what you put for service imap
>>     mode = 0660
>>     group = mail<<  same as what you put for service imap
>>     }
>> }
> Oh, yeah, I should add that to example config and wiki since the default
> is "secure" as in "works in about zero installations" :)

Sorry Timo, he was having the same problem I was so I thought I would
share my setup; I didn't say the default wasn't secure but I couldn't
get the default's permissions to work. This could have been because I
had forgotten the /var/run directory itself had to have world executable
permissions.

So, Marc Perel, use the default; make sure you have world executable
permissions on /var/run while chmoding to 770 /var/run/dovecot and
owning the individual service files to the correct users and groups.

If this doesn't work, try the permissions. I'm going to review mine to
make sure they will now work as default.

Jerrale G.
SC Senior Admin