[Dovecot] Problems Converting Maildir to mdbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 31 22:07:53 EEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 20:49 +0200, Kim Bisgaard wrote:
> > What error did lda give? You probably should add:
> Command output: doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
> /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf line 54: Unknown setting: separator )

That looks like it wasn't inside namespace {} or something else was
weird. Anyway, you should have gotten that same error simply by running
"doveconf" (or "dovecot", or any Dovecot tool really).

> (maildir uses '.' (I think)) so I only added:
> namespace {
> separator = .
> }

You need inbox=yes there too (or maybe it's added there by default if
you have only one namespace, can't remember).

> > namespace {
> >    separator = /
> >    inbox = yes
> > }
> Intuitively I would have expected '.' and not '/' (default (m)dbox),
> since I'm converting between maildir (.) and dbox(/) - right?

For dsync it doesn't matter if it's '.' or '/', both will work fine. But
if you have existing IMAP clients then you should preserve the separator
or they could become confused.