[Dovecot] Patch: 2.0 support for URLAUTH, BURL, CATENATE

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Dec 7 01:09:48 EET 2010

On 6.12.2010, at 23.02, Mike Abbott wrote:

>> when ACL plugin is loaded the master user by default has no permissions to any mailbox.
>
> But without the ACL plugin a master user has all of the regular user's access, including unlimited read/write/delete powers.  Submit users don't because of COMMAND_FLAG_OK_FOR_SUBMIT_USER.

Yes, but this is just an additional check that's enabled when submit_user != NULL. If it wasn't checked, there would be no difference between a submit_user and a master_user. So might as well call it master_user and add a submit-flag to enable this extra restriction.

>> Maybe "master user" should have been named something more neutral, like "authentication user" or something..
>
> Please no, not that.  Do you know how messy it is already to grep through the code for the words "master" and "user"?  If you do change this name make it something new to dovecot, like chameleon or usurper or something.

I know authentication user would be a pretty horrible name. That's why I named it master user, because I couldn't think of anything better :)

But I guess at least in wiki there should be more talk about "master user" not being the same as "admin user". There is actually already a check in imap-quota plugin that allows admin user to get quota for other users. This is checked from struct mail_user.admin boolean. Nothing ever sets that flag though..