[Dovecot] local seen flags with shared mailboxes

Tim Mauerbach tim.mauerbach at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 8 03:13:32 EET 2010

2010/12/7 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>

> On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 16:11 +0100, Tim Mauerbach wrote:
>
> > after recent upgrade from 2.0.5 to 2.0.8 it seems that local seen flags
> for
> > mails reside in shared mailboxes doesn´t work anymore.
> ..
> > namespace {
> >   location = maildir:%%h/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u
> >   type = shared
>
> So you mean other users' shared mailboxes? .. The way it should work is
> that per-user seen flags are used only when dovecot-shared file exists
> in a mailbox.

Ouch, that was my configuration error. I missed the dovecot-shared file. :-(

> But then again, if that exists then the owner's \Seen flag
> also exists only in index file. So this has never really worked the way
> you want, I don't know why it would have appeared to work in 2.0.5..
>
> Attached patch should make it work the way you want, but I'm not really
> sure how I should permanently handle this. Some people want \Seen flags
> shared, others don't. So this would have to be configurable somewhere..

I tried the patch but I can´t see the exact difference in behaviour. Though,
my problem is completely solved with existent dovecot-shared files.

Next time I´ll read the wiki twice until I post questions like this!

Timo, thank you very much for all the time you invest to dovecot!

Best wishes
Tim