[Dovecot] load increase after upgrade to 2.0.8

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 9 10:24:10 EET 2010

> Are the process pids also logged in the messages, so it's clear which messages belong to which imap process? If not, add %p to mail_log_prefix.

Done. It wasnt logging this, now it is.

>> As I said previously, im not longer running the imap server=0 patch because it caused these errors:
>>
>> Dec  9 06:54:32 userimap30 dovecot: imap(cor): Error: user cor: Initialization failed: Namespace '': mkdir(/var/spool/mail/.4a/L/0/14/corbosch) failed: Permission denied (euid=1000(cor) egid=50(staff) missing +w perm: /var/spool/mail/.4a/L/0/14, euid is not dir owner).
>>
>> After I removed the patch these errors disappeared.
>
> The patch was supposed to fix this.. Is uid 1000 wrong for this user? Didn't you already exist, why is it complaining about mkdir()?

It's very strange. Im user 'cor'. Maybe it's logging my name because I started the process (su-d to root obviously)?  My uid is 1000.  But im not the one doing this login, these are customer logins. The mkdir fails because the target dir is only writable by root. Normally dovecot creates a directory as root, and chowns it to the owner it belongs to. At least, thats what I assume happens as normally this all works fine.

It's like dovecot was unable to change the process to euid root but instead is doing everything as euid cor.

>> Just for thoroughness ive started 2 servers with the logging patch. One with service_count=0 and one with service_count=1
>
> What, are you saying that without the patch service imap { service_count=0 } works? Or are you talking about imap-login?

Im talking about imap-login. Currently im not running any servers with imap { service_count=0 } due to the permission errors. Im more than happy to give it another go if you feel i did something wrong.

Cor