[Dovecot] load increase after upgrade to 2.0.8

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 9 11:52:21 EET 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 10:41 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 9.12.2010, at 9.13, Cor Bosman wrote:
>
>> If you want to have a quick look already, im mailing you the locations of 2 files, 1 with service_count=0 and one with service_count=1.
>
> I see that about half the commands that do hundreds or thousands of volcses are IDLE. Wonder if that is the problem. But there are others .. I see for example that one "LOGOUT" command takes 2000 volcses, which I doubt is true. More likely it's counting something that happened before the LOGOUT, like probably doing a mailbox synchronization. Attached a new version of the patch that also logs volcs for syncs.
>
> Also STATUS and SELECT seem to have high volcses, which do a mailbox sync.. Hmm. So if it is about mailbox sync, where in the sync then is it slow? Added more debugging for this in the attached patch.

Ok, i'll apply this patch to both running servers doing logging.

>> Something in dovecot does :)  If a user without a maildir logs in for the first time, the dir is created.
>
> Probably would be good to find out what exactly, in case that's caused by some security hole :)

Sorry, my mistake. It's not dovecot, it's our LDA (not dovecot) thats making the dir (which means we now get an error if a user logs in and they have never had email.. but that never happens since we mail them on signup..interesting little problem :)

Cor